WIND (IGRM 4207A)
The Wind Informatics and Network Decision (WIND) Lab supports undergraduate and graduate student research in renewable energy integration and sustainable manufacturing operations. This lab is available for students taking senior courses such as IE 4350 Supply Chain Engineering, IE 4370 Probabilistic Operations Research and IE 4390 Capstone Design Projects.
At present, six to seven research students work in the lab conducting various projects supported by the US Department of Agriculture and the Halliburton Foundation. The lab research spectrum spans across various engineering and analytics domains, including wind and solar generation and simulation, distributed power system planning and optimization, design for net-zero carbon manufacturing facility, and analysis of electric vehicles and green transportation. Students’ research findings have been published and presented in ISERC Conference, INFORMS, RAMS, and the 4th International Forum on Sustainable Manufacturing in Lexington, Kentucky.
The lab also provides engineering workshops and host visits from local high school students for recruitment purposes.
Equipment available in the WIND Lab includes:
- 1 Dell Optiplex 780 desktops (2.9 GHZ Intel Core (TM) Duo processor, 8 GB RAM, 200GB Hard Drive) with 20” high resolution screen monitors and running Windows 7 (64 Bit)
- 2 110-Watt silicon-based monocrystalline solar photovoltaic (PV) panels. Dimension: 1080 mm×808 mm. PV efficacy is 12.5% at operating temperature of 25 oC. Voltage range from 12 V to 24 V (see Figure 7.C.1).
- 1 PowerHub 1800 XanTrex Backup Power System. Features include: Modified sine wave inverter/charger with battery box. Designed to include a generator as part of the system. Generator power can pass through the unit to the AC outlets, and recharge the batteries. Integrated transfer switch. 40-amp three-stage charger. Four AC outlets with hardwire option. Two DC inputs for solar and/or wind connections. Full-feature LED display for system monitoring (see Figure 7.C.2)
- Microsoft Office Enterprise 2010 (Includes Microsoft Visio and Project)
- Minitab 16
- IBM SPSS 21
- R 3.0.1
- MATLAB R2013a
- WITNESS 2.0
- C/C++ Integrated Development Environment: